In Conversation With The Sensational Zoe Viccaji

Zoe Viccaji, even her name is as beautiful as a melodious poem that nourishes the souls and sounds pleasing to the ears. She is the only female after the great late Nazia Hussain with tons of talent, charisma and skill. Her range is sky high, voice comfortable with every genre she sings and personality as charming as people expect in a singer. Pakistan’s Music Industry has been dominated by male singers for quite a long time now but singers like Madam Abida Parveen, Hadiqa Kiani, Zoe Viccaji, Sara Haider, Quratulain Baloch and others have evened the numbers to a big extent. 
Zoe Viccaji is an internationally acclaimed Pakistani musician.

This time we got in touch with the charming Zoe Viccaji for a short chit chat session and found her so humble, down to earth and kind. Here’s the conversation we had with the scintillating, sensational and electrifying Zoe Viccaji.

You started writing your own songs just at the age of fifteen. Is it like you always wanted to be a singer or it just happened?

I’ve always wanted to sing. What I didn’t know was that I would be doing this as a full time career. I guess all the signals were pointing in this direction and I just didn’t know it for sure.

How was your musical journey with your first band Ganda Bandas? And what was the logic behind the Band’s name?

Ganda bandas was a group of boys who already existed as a band long before me. Their music was pretty heavy metal alternative, and I happened to come into the picture when they were looking for a new singer. I guess the band name stayed the same and I became a ganda banda too!

What really was the turning point in your career and what in your view, gave your talent the much deserved projection and exposure?

I had always been composing and recording my songs in English. It was when the project with Levis came along in which Adnan Malik proposed that I choose any Pakistani song and put my own spin on it. I was really into acapella in those days and I loved the lyrics and melody of Bichra Yaar by Strings. It also happened to be the very first urdu song that I sung. It immediately went viral and I think that was the biggest turning point for me. A concert that I had soon after was a full house with lines of people outside the door- I had no idea I would get such a large audience.

How difficult it was to make a name for yourself particularly in a time when the music industry was going through the worst of times?
It’s been tough for everyone in the industry. I had been singing in shows and playing my own originals for a while before I could even start considering music as a career. A combination of the first song going viral, being a part of Coke studio and acting in musical theatre productions helped to bring things to a tipping point.

How was your experience in Coke Studio?

Wonderful, it has opened up a whole world of local music to me.

“Janay Do” and “Phir Mili Tanhai” are two of your most popular numbers. Which one of these is your most favorite and why?

I prefer Jaanay Do compositionally. It’s a much more complex song and in a genre that I really love. Funnily enough my band and the public seem to prefer Tanhai.

Who was your inspiration in music?

Ella Fitz Geral, Sarah McLachlan, Sajjad Ali, Michael Jackson, and so many others!

It is often said that only the gem of a talent can recognize other pure talent. Share your thoughts on this and was this exactly how you found Irfan Ali Taj?

One can recognize when a musician is genuine and has good intentions for their art. I felt Irfan had a raw talent in his vocals, coupled with the ability to work hard and persevere. I am now discovering that he is a gifted composer as well. It’s a pleasure to work with people like him, and it fuels my passion and drive to make good music.

Ashiqi Angaar was a new experiment for you. How was the response you received afterwards?
It was excellent! I seem to have found a whole new world of listeners. In fact when I went to shoot a video in northern Pakistan in June, there were fans everywhere. I had no idea my voice would reach such remote areas.

Where do you see yourself as a musician after 4-5 years?
I never know how to answer that question. I work honestly from one thing to the next and hope for the best.

Your debut album “Dareeche” was a massive hit and still many copies are being sold worldwide. Is there any good news for the fans in shape of new album or singles?
Yes there is a lot planned for 2016! 3 songs are already underway and one more is coming out this August. Ultimately they will all be part of the same EP, and a very different sound from dareeche.

How do you see the role of corporate sector in reviving the music scene in Pakistan?
That’s a thesis question! In short I can say the corporate sector is an enabler and can help individuals grow- having said that its very important for an artist working with corporates to look out for their own rights and make sure fair deals are being made. It can get a little cut throat, and involves a lot of marketing and business sense to make the best of it.

What more can be done to make the industry successful one with loads of opportunities for the upcoming artists?
I think the growth of the film industry is helping the music industry side by side. What I would like to see is the growth of public concerts and boom of new original music, and exploration of different genres.

Most of the singers have turned actors now. Do you intend the same? Have you been getting any offers from movies or serials?


Theatre has always been one of my interests, so it’s not completely off the table. I have been getting offers, but nothing seems to have clicked so far.

How is your relation with your fans?
I like to communicate directly with my fans on Facebook and Twitter and try to answer as many people as I can.

Do you think Digital Music Platforms can help the Pakistan’s music industry grow again?

It definitely provides a great platform and helps. I for example am constantly tuning into patari and checking out what new local music is out there.

What gives you happiness and what hurts you the most?
I feel happy when I see positivity and exciting work coming out. It hurts me most when I see how callous people can be in their comments towards each other.

What’s your favorite cuisine?

Pakistani/Indian and Thai

Your favorite wardrobe.
Bohemian

Your favorite singers. One Pakistani and one other.
Sajjad Ali in Pakistan, and SIA

Your most favorite venue to perform at.

They’re small and more personal: I’ve always loved the energy at the PACC and The second Floor.

Any new voice that has impressed you a lot.
Irfan Taj

Favorite place to get away

Any place that’s super green and close to nature.

Do you remember when you signed your first autograph?
Unfortunately I don’t!

Your most favorite genre of music.
These days I love funk.

Any of your favorite song that you perform the most.
Ishq Kinara.

Your favorite musical instrument.
The Kora

Please give a message for your fans and readers.
In this digital age, I feel artists are very exposed to listeners and their opinions. It’s hard putting your work out there especially for new musicians. Be kind to each other and help everyone grow positively.

Zoe Viccaji is a Pakistani singer, songwriter, and musician.


I wish her best of luck for her future projects and may she keep coming up with exciting music to make all of us proud of her and dance to her beats.

Hope you people enjoyed the conversation! Happy reading and remember, Musicians of Pakistan are THE BEST :)

Comments

  1. Thank you Nimrah :)
    Means a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog.
    Our musicians are indeed the greatest. Subscribing to this blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is very nice as a person. Met her at LMM and she was way too humble. Love her style of performing on stage.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment