Catching Up with Anna Salman Dar - Voice of The All Girl Band

Since making her debut in Nescafe Basement Season 4, Anna Salman Dar has certainly come a long way. Her career may just have started but time and time again, she has made it extremely clear that she is here to stay and definitely someone to watch out for in the coming few years. She is an artist who has managed to stay true to her passion. For her, it has been more about craft than followers. No wonder why she wows the audience every time she steps on stage. With Amal on violins, Mishal on percussions, and Sumera on tabla, The All Girl Band - led by Anna Salman Dar - is arguably one of the hottest bands in the country right now that is taking the critics by surprise with their spellbinding music.

Anna Salman Dar is a Pakistani singer from All Girl Band

In this interview, the vocalist of The All Girl Band, Anna Salman opened up about her musical journey, future plans, and a lot more.

1. Please tell us about your musical journey. 

I developed an interest in singing as a child, but started songwriting when I was around 11. By the age of 13, I started a SoundCloud page and started posting my originals and covers. In between, I also auditioned for Pakistan Idol but couldn’t qualify. Three years back a friend introduced me to Nescafe Basement, and pushed me to audition and so I did. That's how my music journey began professionally. Since then I’ve worked with a lot of brands including Pepsi, Khaadi, Gul Ahmed, and Mocciani etc.

2. You were a part of Love Me Again in Nescafe Basement that was also appreciated by John Newman himself. While working on that song, did you guys expect it would get such a huge response? 

I, for one, wasn’t expecting such a huge response and it was absolutely overwhelming. The idea of an all female ensemble already existed so I wasn’t sure why everyone was hyped about the episode being launched.

3. Your music is mostly in English. Considering the literacy rate in Pakistan, don’t you think it is restricting the outreach of your music in the country?

To some extent I believe. But I think Pakistan and its music industry are progressing as a country and people are slowly shifting to music that is in English. However, we try to keep a mix of both the languages - English & Urdu.

4. Do you wish to sing in regional languages? If yes, which ones?

It would be interesting to try out French. I might slaughter Pakistani regional languages since I have a bit of an English accent. I wouldn’t want to face a public backlash.

5. While making a song, do you write the lyrics first or work on the melody? 

My song production process works differently everytime. Mostly, I have the words and the melody playing in my head when theres a whirlwind of emotions. I sit down and play the piano to let it all out. Sometimes I write the song in parts, I would be doing some task and a lyric would just pop up in my head and I would pen it down.

Anna Salman from All Girl Band appeared in Nescafe Basement


6. What are the best and worst things of being Anna Salman? 

The best would be that I get to impact people with my music. I get messages about how I’ve helped them and uplifted them when they were going through a rough patch. The worst thing would be the trust issues that come along with it. You don’t know if the person you’re talking to is being real and could be trusted.

7. Do you intend to release a full album or an EP? 

Currently, I have songs enough to release 2 albums but considering the music situation, albums hardly sell here. The audience is still stuck on listening to covers. I intend to release singles for now and once I gather a larger audience, I’ll release an EP.

8. Do you wish to start your career in acting?

Acting wouldn’t be my forte but I would like to try it out. I’ve acted for a commercial once for a shoe brand. But I think it requires a lot of control on your expressions and speech and when I’m nervous, it doesn’t come so naturally to me.

9. What do you wish to achieve as a musician in the next 5-10 years? 

There are a myriad goals which would include having hits on the billboard chart, being able to sell out stadiums and be on world tours.

10.If you have the chance to change one thing about the music industry of Pakistan, what would it be?

One thing that should change is that the consumers need to learn how to value music. Most people want to use it or listen to it, without paying for it.

11. As a musician, how do you wish to explore the versatility in you? What genres do you wish to try in the future? 

I think I can take up new styles, get into music production, or play with different instruments to explore. Currently my style would be Indie Pop. But some genres that I would like to experiment with are reggae fusion and R&B/Soul.

12. What advice would you give to young female musicians?

Keep working on your skill and keep posting out content for the world to see. There’s a lot of space for female musicians, songwriters, producers in the industry and it needs you.

13. Any upcoming songs from All Girls Band? 

A couple of collaborations and originals.

14. What makes you happy?

I think being able to balance and do well academically alongside music is something that makes me really happy.

Anna Salman Dar is a Musician of Pakistan


15.What makes you sad? 

I’ve noticed that I’m really sad when people speak or act carelessly and don’t notice the consequences.

16. Any specific concert you enjoyed playing the most at? 

Two years ago, in Karachi, for City School PAF chapter. There was about a crowd of 3000-4000 people. Most of them screaming back the words to the songs we were singing and it was absolutely breathtaking.

17. If you were a music instrument, which one would you be and why? 

The piano because its a little quieter than the rest of the instruments and I believe the human version of a piano would be very quiet and polite and that is who I am.

18. Please give a small message for your fans.

Your support has always meant the world to me. Thank-you for being here for the music! I love the relationship we have with each other and that is something I will always cherish. I love you guys!


Comments

Post a Comment